History of Gust Rosenfeld
Nine years after Arizona attained statehood, two prominent Phoenix firms merged to form Kibbey, Bennett, Gust and Smith. Their first office was located at the corner of 1st Avenue and Washington Street.
Formed in 1909, Kibbey & Bennett was an established firm. Judge Joseph H. Kibbey was the legal architect of the Salt River Valley irrigation project, a national model for water reclamation. For many years, Walter Bennett was chairman of the Territorial and State Board of Bar Examiners.
Gust & Smith were dynamic lawyers, with John L. Gust serving as Arizona's first bond lawyer and an expert in water and banking law. Frank O. Smith was a former judge and famed trial lawyer, who was also well known for his generosity with charities and his work in developing Phoenix.
Fred W. Rosenfeld joined the firm in 1924 and led the development of its highly regarded municipal bond practice area, a reputation that continues today. In 1964, his son, Fred H. Rosenfeld, joined the firm and currently practices in the areas of municipal bonds and government law. Fred H. co-founded and is a charter member of the American College of Bond Counsel.
Like Fred H. Rosenfeld, Devens Gust joined his father's firm and represented bankers, ranchers and individuals for 40 years. The third generation of the Gust family, Morgan Gust, practiced banking and commercial law at Gust Rosenfeld until 1988.
In 1992, the firm shortened its name to Gust Rosenfeld. Today, we continue to thrive and maintain the tradition of providing high quality, personal service to all of our clients. With more than 60 attorneys, the firm offers counsel to clients ranging from individuals to Fortune 100 companies in virtually all areas of law, from alternative dispute resolution to trusts and estates.